Monday, June 17, 2013

Got Time, But No Money vs. Got Money, But No Time

Isn't it funny how that works? I remember when school was over and summer finally rolled around, hours were spent rotting at home doing nothing. Why? Because you can't take vacations when you have no money. Yeah, you'd go hang out with your friends and things like that, but it wasn't anything like traveling and exploring far away places. Ironically, that's when you have all the time in the world, no responsibilities or cares, but no money to go have fun. (Before all hell breaks loose, I totally understand that there are activities that can be done without spending a lot of money or any money at all. But what I mean is, hopping on a plane or in a car and going somewhere with all the time in the world.)

Nowadays, there is money in the bank, enough to take me across the world, but no time to go. The joys of being a grown up. I guess another one of those joys is, when you have time, but no one else has time. Sure, I can go explore alone, but it's not as much fun when you're alone. I love to share my experiences with other people because I have terrible memory so I will most likely forget something. And also, when you're able to share your experiences with someone, you have someone to look back with and laugh at silly things you guys might have seen or done, or remember little details that you have since forgotten. Plus, sharing is caring.

Back to these grown up problems. When you have a job, you can't just go, I feel like going to Disneyland today, peace out guys. There are responsibilities unfortunately. Since starting work, I don't think I've taken a vacation where I haven't checked my email or freak out in case my coworker feels like being incompetent that day. And I'm only gone for 2 days. And that's another thing, you can't take real vacations. Think about when you were younger and you and your parents packed up and went on a road trip or on vacation during summer break. You were probably out for a good week. When you're an adult, unless your employer gives you vacation time, you're not being paid for when you're not there. Sucks right?

I guess you have to find that balance as new obstacles are thrown your way. Sometimes you need that break to avoid getting burned out. I remember having to work 6 days out of 7 in a week. That got old real quick. That's why, I give nothing but props to those that work everyday of the week and on top of that, several jobs at once and over 8 hours a day.

At the end of the day, it's about finding that balance. It helps if your mentality is, work hard today so you don't have to work as hard later. I will get there one day. For now, time to figure out when everyone has time to go to Hawaii or something. Sigh. Grown up problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment